Yes, I’m sure most of you have heard about bone broth before but did you know how amazing it is for your health?! I’m going to give you the quick run down on this amazing health tonic and my personal favorite broth recipe and hopefully more of us will be enjoying this yummy, warm, tasty, savory and healthy treat more often!
If your anything like my husband you may be wiery of the thought of cooking down bones and drinking it. My hubby doesn’t have that cave man mentality appetite, but m working on him! Bone broth doesn’t have to taste like bones or marrow if done creatively. I’ve tricked him on several occasions! Rest assured, no bones should reach your mug or bowl. 🙂
Why the hype with bone broth these days? Maybe its the rise in gut related illnesses or the huge increase of autoimmune related challenges, and food sensitivities or the need for something other than antibiotics and medicines once they do not work for us anymore! More and more people are seeking out natural remedies to ease their ailments and more and more literature is pointing to the direction of your gut as the source of all disease and illness. If your gut is off, so is your immunity and health! Poor digestion over time leads to an increase in allergies (food and seasonal), autoimmunity, cancer, GERD, acid reflux, migraines, depression, anxiety…etc you get the picture.
What Causes gut issues or leaky gut? Three main culprits! Food, Toxins, and unknown or hidden infections. Lets start with toxins, they are everywhere today! In our soil, water, air, food, makeup, lotions, cleaning products, clothes…..EVERYWHERE! the good news is that our amazing bodies are equipped for de-toxing on a daily basis but how do you know your bodies threshold for how much is too much? Well, usually over time our bodies will begin to talk to us and slowly start to show signs that the buckets getting full. I think a quarterly 21-45 day cleanse is great for cleaning out my system and allowing my body to rest for that period of time so it can re-group and do the job its designed to do rather than just shoe off the man made toxins our bodies are overburdened with and then in return wont become a health burden in the future.
Second, lets talk food. Our food is filled with junk, chemicals, preservatives, and toxins, chemicals and preservatives….let me repeat! Chemicals, preservatives and toxins! EWE!!!! But, we all eat it. They are even hidden in some of the healthiest meals. Gluten is actually the number one cause of leaky gut. Other inflammatory foods like dairy, sugar, and excessive alcohol are suspected as well.
Last but not least, infections. This was my initial introduction to my journey with having a leaky gut. Although I wasn’t aware at the time that I was beginning to get a leaky gut and not one doctor brought it up or tested me for infections. Infections can be viral or bacterial or in the form of parasites. I know, yuck! We all carry some level of all of these. Our immune systems keep them controlled and at bay. When or if your immune system starts to become burdened these infections can become problematic and symptomatic and lead to further damage of your digestive tract.
Signs of gut distress or leaky gut:
- Digestive issues such as bloating, constipation, diarrhea, or IBS.
- Seasonal allergies or asthma.
- Hormonal imbalances such as PMS or PCOS.
- Diagnosis of an autoimmune disease (Any autoimmune disease!).
- Diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome or fibromyalgia.
- Mood and mind issues such as depression, anxiety, ADD or ADHD.
- Skin issues such as acne, rosacea, eczema or mystery rashes.
- Candida overgrowth.
- Food allergies or food intolerances.
How to heal a leaky gut?
The most import part of recovering your gut health is to remove your distressing triggers. Those may be, alcohol, dairy, gluten, toxins, parasites, infections…etc. The best thing to do is visit a naturopathic or functional doctor to help you pinpoint your root cause! Until you remove WHY your gut is in distress you will not recover. The next step is to replace what is lost! In my research and personal experience, most people have a lack of proper acid to break down food and nutrients as well as digestive enzymes. You need both of those working sufficiently for proper nutrient absorption and food breakdown. The next step is to reintroduce good bacteria. This is oh so very important in recovering your digestive health and immunity! You need to be able to restore a healthy balance of good bacteria. Last but not least, we need to repair the damage. L-glutamine is a nutrient, actually an amino acid that helps to rejuvenate and heal the lining of the gut wall. Omega 3 to help control the inflammation, a healing diet loaded with organic whole ingredients and lots and lots and lots of bone broth!!!
I’m at a point in my journey of recovery where I’m drinking bone broth with every meal! I love it and I love how it makes me feel inside and out.
Why is bone broth so amazing?
Dr. Axe breaks it down pretty superbly (and this is just the short form)….
- Protects Joints. Its one of the worlds best sources of natural collagen!
- Good for the gut. The gelatin found in Bone broth is beneficial for strengthening the gut lining and fighting food sensitivities. Studies show that individuals with digestive imbalances, serum concentrations of collagen are decreased. Because the amino acids in collagen build the tissue that lines the colon and entire GI tract, supplementing with collagen can support healthy digestion.
- Maintains healthy skin. Collagen helps form elastin and other compounds within skin that are responsible for maintaining skins youthful tone, texture and appearance.
- Supports Immune System Function. Leaky gut occurs when particles of food seep through tiny openings in the weakened intestinal lining and enter the bloodstream, where the immune system detects them and become overactive(causing an increase in food sensitivities, seasonal allergies, asthma symptoms etc.) This increases inflammation and leads to dysfunctions all over, as the immune system releases high levels of antibodies that cause an autoimmune like response and attack healthy tissue.
- Boosts detoxification. Toxins are one of the leading cause of disease. While our bodies are equipped with an amazing detoxification system it can’t always keep up with the demands of our dirty environment these days. Bone broth contains potassium and glycine, which support both cellular and liver detoxification.
- Aides the metabolism and promotes anabolism. Bone broth is loaded with glutathione, which studies show plays an important role in antioxidant defense, nutrient metabolism and regulation of cellular events. A 2004 study published in the journal of nutrition states that glutathione’s roles and benefits include regulating gene expressions, DNA and protein synthesis, cell proliferation and apoptosis, signal transduction, cytokine production, and immune responses.
How do you make bone broth?
Many different ways and durations of cooking times. I find that adding in some savory veggies makes this yummy enough to drink on its own at any time of the day! Some say to cook the bones for at least 72 hours while others feel its just as beneficial at 3 hours….I’ve done it both ways and here is my go to favorite version:
1 whole Leftover baked chicken ( I bake a whole chicken once a week and use the breast meat for a meal of save it for salads or pasta dishes or freeze it for future use)
- dried organic parsley
- 2 large cut up carrots
- ½ a white onion
- 2 large cut up celery stalks
- 1 garlic bulb
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
Put the chicken bones and joints in the pot along with all other ingredients. Fill pot with filtered water and boil with top on but open enough to allow broth to breath. For the next few hours trim off fat accumulated on top of the pot. Simmer on low heat for 8-10 hours. The longer you cook the bones the more benefit you will gain and a richer taste. I occasionally transfer my broth to the crock pot to cook unattended for several days. If you don’t have time for that, no worries! Your still getting loads of health benefits. Once your broth is finished cooking strain the broth of all vegetables and bones until your liquid is clean. Its time to consume your delicious and nutritious liquid gold!